From Philadelphia Business Journal:
Camden officials are moving forward with the final phase of an ambitious plan to tear down a total of 591 derelict structures in the South Jersey community.
In what is considered the largest demolition project in New Jersey history, the six-phase, $13.6 million program to raze nearly 600 buildings started in January 2015. A total of 531 properties have been torn down so far with the 60 that are remaining to be demolished by mid-September, said Dan Keashen, spokesman for Camden County.
Camden Mayor Dana L. Redd and other public officials gathered Thursday morning at the intersection of Louis Street and Kaign Avenue to mark this last part of the demolition program, which Keasen said was a tad ahead of schedule. The properties that will come down are in the following East Camden neighborhoods: Rosedale, Cramer Hill, Dudley, Stockton, Marlton and Beideman.
Once completed, the county and city will explore pursuing some infill development in areas and will consider parks, affordable housing and other projects. There may be cases where no new development is needed, said Robert Corrales, business administrator for the city of Camden.
“We have some really dense neighborhoods and maybe we leave it as green space,” he said.
The city is still figuring out what its approach will be on possible reuse of the properties, Corrales said. It may use an RFP process to see what interest there may be for some of the parcels. Regardless, he said, just getting rid of some of these eyesores improves the quality of life of people who live near them.